|Celebrating Airstrip Racing Strathpine|
From 11th August 1946, the abandoned World War 2 Strathpine Airstrip hosted Queensland's first post-war motor racing. Race meetings, which continued through the late 1940's into the 1950's, were initially organised by the Queensland Motor Sporting Club. Local identity, Snow Sefton (1911 - 1991), proprietor of the Lawnton Garage, provided support and competed with his "Strathpine Special". The races attracted other drivers and enthusiasts from all over Queensland and interstate. Vehicles raced along the eastern side of the airstrip, turned down the opposite side before negotiating an open dirt loop. Immediately after the chequered flag fell for the last time on the 11th of October 1959, the surrounding area was subdivided for residential development. This event is to celebrate and acknowledge the efforts of all who participated and to place a commemorative plaque within the grounds of Pine Rivers State High School on this day.
On the grounds of the Pine Rivers State High School
Sunday August 31st 2003.
9.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.
A parade of historic cars will take place along the old airstrip, now Spitfire Avenue. The parade will leave at 8.30am from Pine Rivers Park, along Gympie Road - Bells Pocket Road - Stirling Street - Spitfire Avenue - Ash Court and onto the grounds of Pine Rivers State High School. Dedication and unveiling of the plaque will take place at 10.00am by Mayor or the Deputy Mayor.
Up to 150 cars and motorcycles will be on display at the High School. These will include racing cars and motorcycles from the past to the present, drag racing cars, classic speedway cars and vehicles from many clubs including MG's, rally cars and historic veteran and vintage vehicles.
Les Coolings (President)
Business 3205 1350
After Hours 3889 7117
Kevin Elliott (Secretary) 3264 1841